The samples looked so blue when we painted them on the wall. We first went to our local home improvement store and picked out two shades, both which we found online from Google Images or Pinterest (of course)! Once we got the sample rectangles panted, we weren't sure this was what we wanted at all! They looked so different from the photos we found AND the paint samples. So, we gave it the benefit of the doubt and did a second coat, as you should... Still, it looked so blue! Then the sun went down and the glow of our lights made them seem closer to the greys we were hoping for. So that brought on the questioning:
![]() |
| Valspar's Urban Sunrise & Filtered Shade |
- If it looks one way during the day and a different way during the night, will we be happy?
- How is it so different from the photos online?
- Is this going to be too much "blue"?
- Should we change the color scheme altogether?
- Maybe we should keep looking and get one more sample?

Adding Valspar's Simply Gray
After some thought, off to the store we went againnnn. Seems like we were running there for a few things every other day for a bit. Welcome to upgrading, I suppose! And holy blue, again! But, we ended up making a decision from these samples... More or less because we didn't want to keep looking and did a great amount of research on the colors once a room was fully painted. Taking a leap of faith, we decided to go with the first two samples.
Boy are we happy with the almost finished product!! We love these colors. Especially up against the new white trim on the windows! We still have the flooring to redo, and the base trim, but things seem to be coming along quite nicely. We are happy with the difference we are starting to see.
Here is a sneak peak of the before wall and the afters, with the paint colors. The photos do not do justice on the actual outcome. But, should give you a good idea of what's going on :)
-T


Gray....that's how I spell it. Is it right? I don't know but that's what I grew up knowing.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the updated walls and trim. It's weird how much the lighting can change your paint colors. I read somewhere when you are testing out paint samples to paint swatches on multiple walls in the room that catch the light differently to get an idea of how it will look in different light as well. It's too late for this room, but maybe for the next room.
Can't wait to see what else you guys do! :)
Gosh, I forgot to write that!! I actually painted the samples on three different walls! BLUE BLUE BLUE lol I'll add an update to this blog about that, shortly. Thanks for reminding me :)
DeleteP.S.
I love that you always comment.